Monday 30 January 2012

Twitter

Prior Knowledge:

I am aware that Twitter is a social networking platform where 'twits', can message or 'tweet' posts. The subscribers can follow people, groups or industries or be followed by others. Kist explains, "Twitter is an online social network that asks participants to update their 'followers' as to what they are doing in fewer than 140 characters. Some 'twits' choose to 'tweet' many times a day to hundreds, sometimes thousands, of followers" (2010).

The Process:

I just created a Twitter account. (Lisa Price or @lisa_c_price). This was a big step for me because in the past I have felt like Twitter was a virtual stalking system. I am hoping my past feelings change over the next few weeks as I integrate myself into the Twitter world. My initial goal was to follow 5 professionals and 5 personals. I am already following 16 different Tweeters. Some are groups such as the BCTF or the SPCA, others are friends from work or my personal life. I am also following 5 people that my professor suggested to follow and some websites like Gizmodo, Globe and Mail, A Googler, and Gadget Lab. (I did not intend for all of those to start with a 'G.'


Classroom Applications:

William Chamberlain, quoted by Kist, states "I discovered the Classroom 2.0 Ning and started Twitter. Both of these sites really helped me find new and innovative tools to use. I have experimented with many different tools to see what can be useful to me and to my class" (2010). Kist quotes George Mayo who used a Twitter account "called 'Manyvoices" where students collaboratively created a story working from "six different countries" (2010).

I am not sure I would feel comfortable using Twitter in the classroom to communicate with students, however, I believe the social network between teachers is very beneficial. I currently follow several teacher librarians and other teachers. They freely share ideas and communicate with each other. As teacher we need support structures in place. Twitter can be one of those supports and a wealth of ideas for this industry.

References:

Kist, W. (2010) The Socially networked Classroom: Teaching in the new media
     age. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment