Saturday 25 February 2012

Podcasts I

Prior Knowledge:

I have had very little expereince with podcasts. I know they are files (usually audio) that can be recorded, uploaded and downloaded by another user. I am researching the breadth that a podcast can cover. Are they only audio? Or can a podcast be video as well? If a podcast can be video as well, does that mean that YouTube videos are actually podcasts? Will Richardson, author of Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms (2010) states, "Podcasting is the creation and distribution of amateur radio, plain and simple" (112). Based on his definition, I would have to say not all YouTube videos count as podcasts, if the creator is discussing a topic is would count as a podcast, but if it is just a music video, than that does not fit his definition.

While I am investigating podcasts, I have two things I would like to accomplish: i - Find a podcast that interests me from the iTunes Store and download it. ii - Create a podcast and post it to my blog. Finding a podcast should not be too difficult as there are many available on iTunes. However, the creation of a podcast could be a little more difficult. I have to figure out which application on my computer I will use to record my podcast. If I create a file that is not an MP3, I will also have to download the application Audacity, which will convert my file into an MP3. I will also have to upload my podcast to my blog. Look for my podcast in a future post!

References
Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment