Sunday 19 February 2012

SurveyMonkey

Prior Knowledge:

First of all, I have discovered in my original Inquiry Proposal I did not title SurveyMonkey correctly. I apologize for putting a space between the two words. (Silly English language habits).

According to Wikipedia, "SurveyMonkey is a private American company that enables users to create their own web-survey, using free and enhanced paid products and services. The company's offices are located in Palo Alto, California and Portland, Oregon.[1] The company was founded in 1999 by Ryan and Chris Finley.[2] In April 2009, the private company was sold to a private equity consortium with Dave Goldberg named as the new chief executive officer.[2]"

The home page for SurveyMonkey is quite inviting. It has been well set up for new users. Rather than looking at all the features I went straight to the Sign Up Free for their Basic Plan. When you click on this button  another page is opened and you have three ways to sign up. You can: a) create a username and password, or you can sign up through Google or Facebook. I chose to sign up through my Google gmail account. If you go with this option when you sign in a new window pops up. Personally I like my tabs and like to keep my browsing organized with my tabs, but this pop-up window has no way of being added to my tab tool bar (or at least as far as I have played with it). 

Once logged in, you have access to your SurveyMonkey account and can create a survey. Using the basic account, I am limited to only a ten question survey, and when all my results are collected I cannot get the .pdf printout of the calculations and all the feedback. 

I could upgrade to one of the three other styles of accounts. According to the SurveyMonkey's Plans and Pricing link a user can choose from the Basic, Select, Gold or Platinum accounts. The higher you go the more features are included in your account. The Platinum includes all the features from the Basic, Select and Gold plans, with a cost of $69 CAN per month. (There is a note under each account stating the price is billed annually).

For purposes of my SurveyMonkey exploration, I really did not see the need to upgrade and pay for their services. The ten questions and 100 responses will serve me just fine.

My next post will talk about what it was like to create the survey, what kinds of questions I can ask, and how the results are collected. (Maybe I will even post the survey so you can check it out and add to my results).


References:

SurveyMonkey. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SurveyMonkey

No comments:

Post a Comment