Saturday 25 February 2012

Skype I

Prior Knowledge

Honestly, I don't see myself keeping Skype after my course is completed. If I want to chat with friends I can use Facebook chat or Google Chat. For people I video chat with I usually limit that to family and they all use iChat. The verdict is still out of course as I need to experiment with the program some more.

According to Wikipedia, Skype was originally created by an Estonian. Microsoft bought the application in 2011. As I was reading through the list of countries I could get local numbers with, I noticed Canada was not on the list. This is somewhat disappointing, but I think I can manage without. I was curious to know if Skype has a directory, that lists many of its users. As a teacher, it would be nice to get the Skype number for other professionals. I did a search on the Skype.com page, and its top hit was "Social networking apps for Skype - Skype App Directory." Sadly this hit was not helpful, as it searches for Apps, not people. I am going to have to keep digging around.

Applications in the Classroom and Library


How cool would it be to Skype with a class in France? The children could help each other learn new languages and share cultural experiences. Students could have electronic pen pals and correspond through text or video chat. They are just a phone call away. (Again this is where the directory would come in handy).

References

Skype. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype

No comments:

Post a Comment